Jeffrey M. Brown, DMD, MD
Meet Dr. Brown
Dr. Brown is originally from Ocean City, NJ, and has lived in Florida for most of his life. He is a uniquely highly qualified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon, as he holds dual degrees and licenses in both Dentistry and Medicine. He is Board Certified in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery by the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons and is also Board Certified in Dental Anesthesiology by the American Dental Society of Anesthesiology. He was recently re-certified in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, for the second time, after 20 years of original certification, and is the first in the Treasure Coast area to accomplish this. Board Certification is a reflection of quality of education, training, and dedication to a profession, and should be an important factor in patients’ decision making when seeking a healthcare provider.
Dr. Brown earned his Dental (DMD) degree from the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey. He then practiced General Dentistry for three years as a Captain in the United States Air Force, Homestead Air Force Base, Florida, with advanced internship training in each of the dental specialties.
He continued his advanced surgical training, for the next seven years, at the University of Miami and Affiliated Hospitals, also earning his Medical (M.D.) degree from the University of Miami School of Medicine, Class of 1992. This hospital is recognized worldwide for research and training excellence, and is the second largest hospital in the United States. His advanced training included one full year of Medical Anesthesiology with Certification, three years of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, and two years of General Surgery. Specialty training included Cardio-Thoracic (Heart) Surgery, Plastic Surgery, ENT (Ear/Nose/Throat) Surgery, Organ Transplant Surgery, Urologic Surgery, Vascular Surgery, Pediatric Surgery, Trauma Surgery, and Neurosurgery.
Dr. Brown is a member of the Physician Staff of St. Lucie Medical Center for the past 23 years, with full hospital privileges. He has been, until recently, the only Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon providing Emergency Room facial trauma care for St. Lucie County Hospitals and patients for over 20 years. Dr. Brown feels it is a responsibility to his patients to maintain hospital privileges.
Dr. Brown is an active member of numerous Medical and Dental Societies and Organizations, including the following:
- St. Lucie County Medical Society
- Florida Medical Association
- American Medical Association
- Treasure Coast Dental Society
- Atlantic Coast District Dental Association
- Florida Dental Association
- American Dental Association
- Florida Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- Florida Dental Society of Anesthesiology
- American Dental Society of Anesthesiology (Member and Board Certified Fellow of ten years)
Dr. Brown and his partner of fifteen years, Dr. Engebretsen, practice a full range of Oral and Maxillofacial diagnostic and surgical procedures, with special emphasis on continuing education to enhance their knowledge and ability to provide advanced state of the art care for their patients. They are particularly knowledgeable in dental implant procedures and related procedures such as bone grafting and sinus procedures in preparation for dental implants. They are also considered experts in wisdom tooth surgery, dental extractions, anesthesiology, and many other areas of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
Dr. Brown was the first dual qualified and licensed (Medicine and Dentistry) practicing Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon in the Treasure Coast area. He and Dr. Engebretsen have accomplished other “firsts” in this area, including but not limited to some of the following:
- First use of continuous infusion anesthesia techniques for outpatient surgery.
- First performance of in-office tibial bone harvesting for grafting to the face and jaws in preparation for dental implant placement.
- First maxillary full-arch immediate fixed dental restorative and implant surgery.
- First performance of “Teeth in a Day” and “Teeth in an Hour” procedures.
- First use of Bone Morphogenetic Protein for bone grafting to the sinus and jaws for preparation for dental implant placement.
- First use of Simplant computer software implant treatment planning in conjunction with first use of Biomet 3I “Navigator” computer guided implant surgery.
- First use of Nobel Procera software implant treatment planning in conjunction with Nobel guided implant surgery.
They enjoy working in cooperation with their restorative and referral Doctors in order to provide the best possible overall care for their patients.
Dr. Brown, Dr. Engebretsen, and their friend/partner Dr. Lippisch are the founders and co-directors of the Treasure Coast’s “Seattle Study Club”, a prestigious continuing education program for the areas general dentists and specialists to stay abreast of current knowledge in their profession.
Finally, Treasure Coast Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and Dental Implant Surgery Center has achieved what Dr. Brown and Dr. Engebretsen consider one of their proudest accomplishments, certification by the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care (AAAHC) as an accredited outpatient office surgery center for Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. This is the same accrediting organization for all outpatient surgery centers and hospital surgery centers. This is a very rigorous voluntary certification process that was 8 years in the making and distinguishes us as leaders in this area of health care. There are currently only three such certified offices in the entire state of Florida, and only approximately 40 such offices in the entire country. We encourage you to visit our website for information and links to AAAHC.
Dr. Brown and his family reside in St. Lucie County. His children keep him very busy in his spare time with sports endeavors. He enjoys fishing and golf.
We sincerely hope you will be confident in the care we provide for you and your family.