Oral Surgeon Shawn T. Engebretsen in
Port St. Lucie FL
Shawn T. Engebretsen, DMD
Dr. Engebretsen is a native Floridian, having been born and raised in Stuart, Florida. He was privileged to return to his home community to practice in 1987. He is Board Certified in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery by the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. His extensive training in outpatient anesthesia included membership in the American Dental Society of Anesthesiology and the Florida Dental Society of Anesthesiology.
Dr. Engebretsen enjoyed the Treasure Coast as he grew up, boating, diving and progressing through Boy Scouts to the rank of Eagle Scout. He graduated Valedictorian from Hobe Sound Christian Academy before completing his undergraduate education at the University of South Florida.
While obtaining his dental degree from top ranked University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, he developed his interest in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. He then completed a one-year general practice dental residency at Mt. Sinai Medical Center, Miami Beach, Florida. This included additional training in all aspects and specialties of dentistry, additional training in medicine, anesthesia and hospital procedures including oral surgical training at Jackson memorial Hospital in Miami. His specialty training was then obtained with four years of residency in Oral and maxillofacial Surgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland. Since this institution has such international prestige, his training was intense and world class.
Surgical training was received in general surgery, plastic and reconstructive surgery, orthopedic surgery and otolaryngology/head and neck surgery. He served as a medical intern with rotations in the medical intensive care unit and coronary care unit. Extensive anesthesia training was obtained functioning as an anesthesia resident providing anesthesia services for most procedures including general surgery, orthopedic, plastic, neurologic, transplant and labor and delivery. Baltimore is the location for the Maryland Institute for Emergency Medical Services (Shock/Trauma Unit). This was the first of its kind and served to provide Dr. Engebretsen with cutting edge training in general trauma care and extensive facial trauma care and subsequent reconstruction. His program was a referral center for facial/jaw reconstruction from a four state area. In his fourth year, he was a resident instructor and teaching fellow.
Dr. Engebretsen returned to his home community in 1987 and has continued to have offices in Port St. Lucie and Stuart. He has full hospital privileges at martin Memorial Medical Center and Martin South Hospital. He is Board Certified in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. He has continued to pursue his commitment to education with participation in state of the art courses to learn the latest techniques with a special emphasis on dental implant reconstruction.
He and his partners, Dr. Jeffrey Brown and Dr. William E. Lippisch, are co-directors of the Sailfish Study club, which offers continuing education to the local dental community. This is a component club of the prestigious Seattle Study Club, which brings world-class educators and learning experiences to enhance patient care of the Treasure Coast.
As leaders in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Dr. Engebretsen, Dr. Brown and Dr. Lippisch have been on the forefront of providing the most sophisticated and innovative advances in our specialty. These include:
- CT scanning technology for diagnosis and treatment planning of dental implant placement, jaw reconstruction, and pathologic conditions
- Utilization of Nobel Procera software and implant software for comprehensive dental implant treatment planning and simulated computer 3-D model surgery
- Flapless (no incision-no suture) dental implant placement for greater patient comfort and quicker recovery
- “Teeth in an Hour” and “Teeth in a Day” complete implant reconstruction, having trained with the developer of the techniques, Dr. Thomas Balshi in Ft. Washington, Pennsylvania
- Computer Guided Dental Implant placement for extreme precision and accuracy which allows greater flexibility in treatment choices
- Continuous infusion anesthesia for outpatient procedures
- Zygoma Implant Placement-which allows jaw reconstruction to be done without bone grafting in situations that would otherwise require extensive grafting or not be possible
- A full array of bone grafting options (if needed) that range from jaw or tibial harvest to biological regeneration of bone without harvest using Bone Morphogenetic Protein
- Their facilities pursue accreditation by the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care (AAAHC) as an accredited outpatient office surgery center. This is a rigorous voluntary certification process that takes years of dedication to join this elite group, which demonstrates our commitment to excellent patient care.
Dr. Engebretsen is past president of the local Treasure Coast Dental Society. He has served as trustee, officer and president of the Florida Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. He is a member of the Southeastern Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons as well as the American College of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. He is also a fellow in the American Association of Oral and Anesthesiology and the Florida Society of Dental Anesthesiology.
He serves as a board member of the American Cancer Society. He actively serves as trustee of the New Hope Fellowship church of the Nazarene.
Dr. Engebretsen married his high school sweetheart, Becky. They have three adult children, Erik, Travis and Kristin and two spoiled grandsons.
Dr. Engebretsen, his partners and his entire team welcome you to our practice. We are committed to providing superior surgical care in a relaxed atmosphere that is friendly and compassionate. We will treat you as we would our own family.